Flapjacks

by Kristin on September 1, 2011

Today is my daughter’s first day back at school, and there are few occasions that warrant some home baking as much as that. The American in me automatically leans towards the classic cookies-and-milk combo, but this year I made a batch of flapjacks instead. Selfishly, it also just so happens that a homemade flapjack is my favourite thing to have with a cup of tea.

When you talk about flapjacks in Ireland or the UK, you’re not talking about a thick pancake, like an American flapjack. Over here, a flapjack is a sweet tray-baked oat bar made with oats, butter, brown sugar and golden syrup, and you’ll often find commercially produced ones at the counter by the cash register in chain coffeeshops.

Flapjacks are usually made with golden syrup, which is available in any Irish or British grocery store, but you can also use honey or maple syrup if you can’t get golden syrup. Flapjacks take less than 10 minutes to make and only half an hour to cook, so there’s still time to whip up a batch before the kids get home or to have with your cuppa.

Flapjacks

Makes 8 to 16 flapjacks, depending on how you cut them

100 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
100 g (1/2 cup) light brown sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup, honey or maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
200 g (2 1/2 cups) porridge oats

Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 8 inch x 8 inch or 9 inch x 9 inch square baking tin with parchment paper.

Put the butter, brown sugar, syrup and salt into a pan big enough to eventually hold all the oats too and melt over a medium heat, stirring to combine. Add in the oats and stir together until everything is well combined. Pour the oat mixture into the lined tin and press down firmly, making sure the oats are evenly distributed in the pan. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then cut into rectangles by cutting the flapjacks into 4 squares, then cutting each square into 2 or 4 triangles. Allow to cool fully in the tin before removing them to give the flapjacks a chance to crisp up. Store in an airtight container.

Móna Wise September 1, 2011 at 7:41 am

They look lovely Kristen. We make ours with hazelnuts (trees of them growing near us) and sometimes drop a few chocolate chips on top right when they come out of the oven.
One of my favourite tea-time treats too!

Kristin September 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Ooh, chocolate hazelnut flapjacks sound divine! What a lovely gourmet twist.

Clare - An American in Ireland September 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

I still think of those layered biscuit-y pancakes when hearing the term “flapjack” but these look even better! :) I guess they are kind of a cross between a granola bar and a cookie bar? In any case, they look yummy!

Kristin September 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm

That’s not too far off to compare it to a granola bar – it’s more crunchy than chewy and is very plain. Seriously, it’s perfect with a cup of tea!

Bite a Bargain September 1, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Never made Flapjacks before… I guess there is always a first!! And now I have no excuse :)

Kristin September 1, 2011 at 9:07 pm

There are few recipes easier than this – lining the tart tin is the hardest part!

Wiosanna September 1, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I only made a granola bars, but I prefer eating out granola from the jar.
And if anybody would like to use golden syrup very much, they can make it themselves :)

Kristin September 2, 2011 at 7:29 am

I never knew you could make your own golden syrup, how cool! Thanks for sharing the link.

nessa robins September 1, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Kristin I just love your styling of the flapjacks! I always struggle with photographing traybakes. It’s a lovely recipe, I must make a batch.

Kristin September 2, 2011 at 7:30 am

Thanks Nessa! It wound up being a lucky shot after trying it a few different other ways, none of which worked out. My method is pretty much just to take a hundred pictures and hope for the best that I get one good one. :)

Amee August 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Wa-hoo for back to school! And wa-hoo for flapjacks!

Kristin August 29, 2012 at 8:44 pm

You said it – I certainly enjoyed having some peace and quiet to work in today!

stasty August 29, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Here I am, sitting with a nice hot cup of tea, looking at your delicious flapjacks. I’m now wondering where I can get one immediately to have with me tea. Way to make a girl jealous.

Kristin August 29, 2012 at 8:44 pm

That is the danger of reading food blogs! ;)

Cassandra from TX September 4, 2012 at 2:33 am

Thanks for posting this recipe! I’ve never tried flapjacks before, but these look very yummy. :-) Looking forward to making some for my family!

Kristin September 13, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Hope you and your family enjoy them as much as we do!